Anticipated Position Opening
Associate Executive Director
APHIS PPQ will be seeking energetic, qualified and capable applicants for the position of Associate
Executive Director. The position is with the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Plant
Protection and Quarantine, Science and Technology (S&T) Executive Director’s Office in Raleigh, NC.
S&T provides scientific support for PPQ regulatory programs, decisions and operations, primarily
through the Center for Plant Health Science & Technology (CPHST). S&T is responsible for ensuring
that PPQ has the information, tools and technology to make the most scientifically valid regulatory and
policy decisions possible. In addition, S&T ensures PPQ's operations have the most scientifically viable
and practical tools for pest exclusion, detection, and management. The AED participates in overall
planning, coordination, and direction of APHIS’s plant health programs. The ideal candidate has
demonstrated proficiency in a number of competencies: Accountability, Conflict Management,
Developing Others, Human Capital Management and Leveraging Diversity. Overall, the ideal candidate
• Broad experience in the agricultural and natural sciences with a focus on pest and disease management,
regulatory programs and crafting or supporting policy.
• Experience or training in program strategic planning, business planning, organizational development
and management, project management or public administration.
• Experience managing a large number of critical or emerging, high visibility agricultural programs
• Experience communicating scientific advice, policy recommendations and technical information to
governmental agencies, academia, or key public interest groups.
• Experience planning and managing the use of resources to meet immediate and long-term objectives or
performing the necessary decision-making and problem solving required for program execution.
• Experience managing and working with program leaders and staff in scientific program administration,
budget and resource planning, and personnel management.
• Experience in representing and advocating organizational viewpoints within the organization and to
This position is anticipated to be announced by late spring 2016 and can be found on
WWW.USAJOBS.COM. For more information about CPHST, see:
To be notified of imminent announcement off this position, please provide your email address to
APHIS’ Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) is responsible for safeguarding U.S. agriculture and natural resources against
the entry, establishment, and spread of economically and environmentally significant pests, and facilitates the safe trade of
agricultural products.. APHIS is also an emergency response agency. Any Agency employee may be asked or assigned to
participate in rotating temporary duty assignments away from their assigned duty station to support emergency programs at
some time during their careers with APHIS.
The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer and prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the
basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status,
religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual's income is
derived from any public assistance program.