Tuesday, January 21

GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRIC and GIS courses

Dear sir/madam,

My name is Oliver Hooker and I am a PhD student at the University of Glasgow studying ecology and evolutionary biology in freshwater fish.

I am currently in the process of organising (independently) a range of courses, aimed at specific software.

I would be very grateful if you could circulate, on my behalf, the following course outlines through your department.

I appreciate this may not be the correct email address but was the most relevant I could find. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email me or call regarding this.

The first course, which will be delivered by Chris Klingenberg, is an introduction to shape analysis (geometric morphometrics) using landmark coordinates and multivariate analysis. How to measure and apply these procedures to many biological disciplines and how to interpret data regarding evolutionary processes and functional morphology etc. where shape or form (phenotype) is the primary source of information.

The second course is an introduction to using GIS in terrestrial ecology. The course will cover areas such as making a map for a paper or a report, extracting information from Google Earth for use in a GIS project, collecting GIS-compatible data using a GPS receiver, transferring data between a GPS and a GIS project, creating raster data layers of environmental information, importing data to a GIS project from a spreadsheet and linking species records to environmental information.

Details of the courses can be found at www.prstatistics.co.uk.
Or you can contact me via email at either oliverhooker@prstatistics.co.uk or o.hooker.1@research.gla.ac.uk

I have attended both of these courses so if you have any questions as to what is covered then please email me or my telephone number is at the bottom of the email.

Thank you in advance,

Oliver Hooker
PhD research student
University of Glasgow

+44 (0) 1360 870 510
+44 (0) 7966 500 340

o.hooker.1@research.gla.ac.uk